WAVENEY STARDUST WELCOMES YOU – 2020 IS OUR 28th CRUISING SEASON!
Waveney Stardust is a registered charity whose mission is to provide safe, subsidised and enjoyable river cruises for the disabled and/or elderly (people who would not otherwise be able to access the pleasures of the Broadland Waterways) including their family and friends.
- Waveney Stardust cruisers have carried more than 70,000 passengers and travelled over 92,200 miles on the Broadland Waterways.
- Waveney Stardust cruisers can carry up to 12 passengers per journey, up to six in wheelchairs.
- There is a qualified skipper and crew on every cruise. Comfortable cruising whatever the weather.
- Waveney Stardust moorings and cruisers are wheelchair friendly.
- Waveney Stardust staff – whether operational, administrative or otherwise are all volunteers.
SAFETY & INSURANCE
Fundamental to our mission is the safety of our passengers. We carry out regular reviews of our Risk Assessment which we use to put in place processes and procedures which aim to prevent accidents. The crew are trained, and all boat equipment including fire safety appliances, gas and electrical fittings are regularly checked. All certification relating to insurances, licences and safety etc are available for inspection on this website here or by prior arrangement.
Waveney Stardust was awarded the Queen’s award for voluntary service in 2007 and was also represented at a charities reception at Buckingham Palace in 2008.
To help maintain the operating costs at an affordable rate, donations and grants are most welcome.
Waveney Stardust aim to provide a relaxing and peaceful Broadland cruising for the disabled or elderly, regardless of their mobility and health.
Watch the video or scroll down to learn about what can you expect from typical cruises for the disabled or elderly with Waveney Stardust?
- Arrival at our bases – all have level access, ability to get vehicles close to the boats for embarking
- Getting on board – level ramps with hand rails to a hydraulic lift. No steps, no steep slopes, and our competent crew on hand who have done this many times. There is no strict timetable or rush.
- Where can you go? Refer to our location cruising guides for outline of how far you can go and what you might see. Exact details will be down to the Skipper depending on prevailing conditions on the day. The Skipper will do their utmost to meet your requirements but may not always be able to do so.
- Personalise your trip – We are happy for you to decorate the boat, at the discretion of the Skipper on the day, provided decorations do not impact operation of the boat / movement of the crew around the boat. We are used to helping guests enjoy Birthday Parties, On-Board Whist-Drives, Bird Watching trips, and more on the river.
- The Boats – are described on The Boats page. They are both purpose-built to accommodate the disabled with level access throughout and safety rails in the toilet.
- We don’t race – the idea is to keep the noise down to maximise enjoyment of the waterways. If the weather permits the windows and / or roof can be opened so you can feel closer to the faura and fauna
- Refreshments are included – Our crew will serve biscuits with tea, coffee or a variety of squashes mid morning and mid afternoon. Tables are provided to make this safe. And of course you can bring your own food.
- Picnics – bring your own picnic and eat on board. Cutlery and crockery are provided. Picnics can be eaten underway, or if you prefer we can pull up alongside one of the many moorings and savour the peace and quiet and maybe stretch your legs.
- Eating Ashore – On an All Day cruise it is possible to eat ashore in one of the pubs or restaurants. You will need to allow time to get to the inn, and at least 30 minutes for disembarking and re-embarking. Not all riverside inns have easy access – if you are planning to eat ashore it is best to consult with the Bookings Officer in advance or Skipper on the day.
Waveney Stardust operates two purpose-built day cruisers designed for people in wheelchairs or with walking difficulties. There are no steps to negotiate; a sturdy hydraulic platform lift is at the stern. Gently sloping ramps are used when necessary and a wheelchair is kept on board for people who experience discomfort on slopes.
Waveney Stardust was built in 1992 and celebrated her 25th season in 2017 . Waveney Stardust II came into service in 2012.
As can be seen from the pictures, Waveney Stardust cruisers can be boarded with ease. Access to the boats has been managed to ensure ease of access on foot using walking aids, your own wheelchair or through use of the onboard wheelchair. Walkways slope gently and are non-slip. Once on board, passengers are taken down to inside floor level by hydraulic lift. The boat ramps and the wheelchair lifts are provided with guard rails. There are no steps to negotiate anywhere on either boat.
The boats are bright and well ventilated with large opening windows, opening front doors and an opening roof. There is a deep cockpit well aft with safety rails from which to enjoy the river outside.
Each cruiser has a large toilet compartment which is spacious enough for a wheelchair and carers.The cabins are equipped with a flush WC, fold-down hand rail, spacers and hot and cold running water via lever taps.
Each boat also has a defribrillator on board which the crew are trained to use.
Tea, coffee, squashes and biscuits are included every cruise. Why not bring your own picnic and enjoy a relaxing day out? Alcoholic drinks are permitted on board.
Waveney Stardust Trust Ltd. is very grateful for the support of the following Patrons and Vice Patrons who help us continue our services on the Broadland Waters and maintain the Stardust Cruisers:
- Lady Edward FitzRoy
- Sir Nicholas Bacon, Bt
- Sir Laurence & Lady Magnus
- Sir Rupert & Lady Mann
- Clare Francis
- RTT Bramley, LLB FRICS JP
- Mr and Mrs Montagu Pitkin
The Viscountess Knollys, OBE, DL – Bob Blizzard, Esq – The Rt Revd The Bishop of Lynn – The Rt Revd Graham James, Bishop of Norwich – Lady Burton, MBE – The Rt Hon The Earl of Romney – Sir Jocelyn Buxton, Bt – His Honour Judge Paul Downes – Dame Elizabeth Esteve-Coll, DBE – Alastair Forsyth, Esq – The Lord Framlingham – The Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich – The Rt Hon Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market, OBE – Major Sir Fergus Matheson of Matheson, Bt – Raymond Monbiot, CBE – Richard W Jewson, Esq, JP – The Rt Hon Lord Ryder of Wensum, OBE PC – Major Christopher Robinson – The Rt Hon The Baroness Shephard of Northwold, PC, JP, DL – Dr Douglas Seaton, MD FRCP – Major General Patrick Stone, CB CBE – Sir Conrad Swan, KCVO KGCN PhD LLD FSA – The Lord Walpole – Sir Christopher White, CVO FBA – Peter Wilson, Esq, MBE, DL – The Rt Hon The Lord – The Rt Hon The Lord Wraxall, KCVO CMG – Sir Philip Dowson, CBE, PPRA – Sir Henry Bedingfeld Bt, Norroy and Ulster King of Arms – Sir Christopher White, CVO FBA – Sam Wilson, Esq, DL – Philip Curl, Esq – Kenneth Williams, Esq, CVO, CBE, QPM – Jonathan Barclay, Esq – The Lord Darling – The Rt. Hon the Lord Stevenson of Coddenham, Michale Napier, Esq. CBE, QC – Sir Michael Harrison Bt JP
We are always happy to hear from passengers both old and new. To leave your own comments please use Tripadvisor, or the form on our contact page or send us your feedback directly.
Below is just a small selection of the responses we’ve had:
“Thank you to the crew & Waveney Stardust for our trip today to celebrate our parents Golden Wedding Anniversary. Thank you for your understanding, a lovely relaxed day and your constant help and support”
“Lovely relaxing surprise trip for my Mum’s 80th Birthday! Loved by all the family!! Thanks to the fantastic crew!! “
“Fantastic afternoon on the Broads thanks to the crew at the Waveney Stardust. Recommend to anyone”
“A fabulous outing from Brundall. Great crew that were terrifically helpful. Waveney Stardust is a gem in the broads”
“Thanks for a fantastic cruise from Brundall! 10 of us – family and friends – had a wonderful memorable time. Wheelchair friendly with an extremely kind and professional crew. And we saw great birds and plants.”
“5 stars really isn’t enough to show my appreciation of the lovely lads who we met today on a Waveney Stardust cruise from Beccles. Loved every minute of the 7 or so hours”
“Thank you all for an excellent afternoon’s trip to Oulton Broad, onboard the new Waveney Stardust. Your team of three were excellent, cheerful, full of knowledge of the Suffolk Broads, which added to the day, it is amazing what you can miss on the banks of the Broads, wonderful wildlife. Sincerely we hope to return for another journey and we look forward to that time.“
“A very big thank you, to you all, for making our afternoon yesterday so special. Everyone has said how much they enjoyed it and are looking forward to the next time. I shall be booking another trip with you next Spring when we will bring another group“
“Had a great time on Stardust. The facilities for the disabled are excellent and the crew very helpful. We had an all day cruise and we took our own picnic rather than visit a pub, the crew put up two long tables for the food and then made us tea or coffee. Have booked a cruise for this year from Horning.“
“We had a truly fantastic day starting from Beccles to Oulton Broad and back. We cannot thank the crew enough, Bernard and Andrew as they helped to make our day even more special. The wild life included two Kingfishers. The two boats are run purely by volunteers and if you are looking to have a great day out then I would not hesitate to recommend these guys and support them as they do a terrific job, they are passionate in what they do and really care about the people they take out. The boats are extremely well maintained, very clean, tidy and spacious. The roof even slides back for an extra special treat on a warm day but if the weather is not so good it is warm and cosey and just as nice as there are radiators on the walls. The weather will not deter from a great day out. There is even a lift for those who are unable to step into the boat. They have thought of everything.“
“I just wanted to write to thank you so much form making Tess’s 21st birthday so special on 24 May this year. We all had a wonderful time – most especially the birthday girl. It was so lovely to be out on the water, the boat is fantastic and everybody on board so very friendly and kind. It is a truly fantastic thing that you do, and we certainly had a most memorable and enjoyable day. Thank you to Waveney Stardust and everyone associated with it. You are very special..”
Liliane Michel - Petite Couronne
“Nous avons fait une superbe balade sur le Waveney, l’accueil y est chaleureux, l’équipage est attentif au bien-être de ses clients; le soleil nous à permis de profiter pleinement de la beauté du paysage et de la rivière. Merci pour cette journée de détente et j ‘espère a Bientôt”
Mrs D Dobson
“Took some French friends on Stardust a first for all of us. What a fantastic day out. Many thanks to Del, Paul and Lynn who treated us all like royalty and couldn’t do enough for us. The river was beautiful, weather great and the Stardust spectacular. Three of our group are disabled in various ways and had no trouble embarking or disembarking. Very impressed.”
“ I cannot express enough what a fantastic experience and service the Waveney Stardust provides. As a wheelchair user, I didn’t think going on a boat trip would be possible for a long while but this really is a little gem! Highly accessible and comfortable. My thanks go out to our wonderful crew of two, Del and Lynn who made our trip down the broads even more special. I would highly recommend the Stardust to anyone.“
“Hi, on behalf of all the Residents and Volunteers who joined the Waveney Stardust at Oulton Broad last Friday, thank you very much for making it such an enjoyable outing for us. Despite the force 11 gale and 50 foot waves !! across Oulton Broad we had a great time, everyone was so impressed with the boat’s stability and comfort and to lay on a double rainbow across the Broad as we returned was magnificent. Thank you for all your kind attention, cups of tea and hospitality – we hope to be joining you again soon.”
Mr. A. Johnson
“I loved every minute aboard Waveney Stardust; the crew and other volunteers were so helpful and gave me a chance to enjoy the broadland waters in a way that I wouldn’t normally be able to do. I can’t thank them enough.”
Mrs. B. Thomas
“Me and my husband accompanied some close friends on a day out with the Waveney Stardust crew, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and even bought a souvenir to take home with us at the end of the day.”
Mr. C. Attenborough
“I’m so glad that I went on a river trip with Waveney Stardust, it’s always such a pleasure to travel down the river on an evening trip and watch the sun go down over the Broads.”